We all have nifty collections from the bigger beasts like cars and jewelry to the predictable shoes and bags and even to novelties like rag dolls and collectible teddy bears. There’s always something that tickles everyone’s “hoarding” tendencies.
But even the most seasoned collector can commit malpractices too and ruin their already amazing stash. Take for instance the following deeds that can ruin your collectible teddy bears.
- Minimal to Zero Upkeep – You need to regularly inspect your stash in order to pinpoint areas that need attending too. This has to be done regularly and not once in a blue moon otherwise you might spot issues too late.
- Shortage on Cleaning – It’s not enough to just inspect. You need to do some cleaning as well. Some pieces aren’t made for washing so dry cleaning, damp cloth or dusters are often the weapons of choice in such occasions.
- Inadequate Storage Systems – Collectibles shouldn’t be left to pile up and take up space. They need to be carefully and neatly organized by virtue of a storage system. There are many options which can suit everyone’s tastes and budgets from open cabinets, glass-door shelving to floating vertical shelves and more.
- Exposure to Humid Environment – These are a common culprit when it comes to the rotting of many teddy bears. When left unguarded, the moisture makes the toy damp enough to attract molds, bugs and rodents that will damage your beloved pieces. When choosing where to place your storage units, opt for areas where humidity and moisture does not build up.
- Lack of Toy Knowledge – Each piece from your collection is unique. They have varying materials made of, manufacturers, age and condition so it’s only appropriate that you care for them uniquely and as according to their needs. Most teddy bears come with a tag bearing “care suggestions” but in their absence, you can always scour the internet for more information.
- Stacking them Low – It’s a complete nightmare to have low shelving and storage units especially with pets and kids around. Since these toys are more for display and are oftentimes financially valuable, you must always keep them out of easy rich for children and pets otherwise they must just become the next chew toy. It won’t end well. Not at all.
You’ve been forewarned. Never commit the above crimes against your beloved collectible teddy bears!