Stuffed animals are beyond cute. They’re cuddly and adorable and most especially a friend of sorts. Whether you’re a kid or a kid at heart, you’ll agree that they hold a special place in our hearts. So today we decided to list down some fun facts and trivia about one of the world’s most beloved toys. Here, check them out!
- Amigurumi refers to a stuffed animal making style that is characterized by the use of crochet and knitting. Unlike traditional stuffed toy designs, they do not come with the usual fur and mohair. These pieces are very popular in Japan.
- During the tragic sinking of the RMS Titanic, a toy manufacturer made black mourning bears as a sign of grief. Only a few of these were made and have survived making them one of the most sought after collectibles in the market today.
- In 2008 National Geographic set a Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of stuffed animals where kids sent in 2,304 pieces from their personal collections from all over the world.
- Teddy bears have been around for more than a century now. It was first manufactured by German maker Steiff. In fact during for its 125th anniversary, the company manufactured 125 bears of golden thread for fur and diamonds and sapphires for eyes.
- The most expensive stuffed animal to date fetched a price of $2,100,000 dollars in an auction in Monaco. It was bought by Jessie Kim of Korea and was a Luis Vuitton Steiff bear.
- The name “Teddy” bear hails from the US president Theodore Roosevelt who was aid to have refused to kill a defenseless black bear during one of his hunting expeditions.
- The term “stuffed” came as a pretty literal name for the toys. These plushies are puffed to perfection using an assortment of different materials like fibre, wool, plastic pellets, beans, cotton, batting and straw among others.
- The very first established stuffed toy company was Steiff in Germany which was founded back in 1880. They were also the first to sell the teddies in 1902.
- Unagi Travel, a Japanese travel agency, offers trips all over the world for your stuffed toys. Yes you’ve read that right. From Tokyo, Paris to London, you’re beloved plushies will be travelling in style and with portraits too.
So which among these fun facts and trivia about stuffed animals did you find most interesting?
Check out steiffteddybears.co.uk.